capacitor aging claim

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Oct 8 10:08:48 CDT 2010

On 8 Oct 2010 at 7:25, dwight elvey wrote:

>  When I was a kid, I'd distruct old radios and TV's. Every
> paper capacitor I unrolled has some oil in the paper.
> I used to open evering up. I'd unroll transformers, smash
> tubes to see what was on the inside.

That's my recollection, also.  It does make sense.  Haven't seen a
coated-in-wax capacitor for quite some time.  How are old 40s-50s
"bathtub" capacitors holding up?

Moving on, I'm seeing capacitors that I never considered to be
perishable dying, such as polystyrene ones used in AC line filters
during the 1980s.  I've replaced those with polypropylene units, but
is there a better substitute (since polystyrene caps haven't been
made for some time)?

--Chuck