capacitor aging claim

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Oct 8 14:44:30 CDT 2010

On 8 Oct 2010 at 18:43, Alexey Toptygin wrote:

> So, what exactly does "Vitamin Q" mean when speaking about capacitors?
> Is it a brand name? An additive they put in the capacitor oil? All
> google tells me is that guitar-heads make ridiculous claims about how
> it will improve your sound regardless of what equipment you have if
> you replace all your capacitors with Vitamin Q...

A Sprague brand for hermetically-sealed metal-jacketed oil-in-paper
capacitors.  Considered to be magic by the guitar folks; but then, so
are polystyrene capacitors.

My exposure to them was mostly on military equipment.  The jacket is
steel, so if one explodes, you do get some nasty shrapnel.  It
happened to me with a rather large one and might have cost me parts
of my physiognomy if it had occurred just a few seconds earlier.
What was left embedded in the acoustic tile above my bench was an
ugly corkscrew of steel.

--Chuck