OT : RJ45 Telecom wiring

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 11 15:33:31 CDT 2010

> A bit more on the shorting switch on your tester.
>
> It's called an "exclusion key switch" and is used to prevent an
> attached device from connecting to the line.  Take a look at page 17
> ff. in the UDS 208 modem manual:
>
> http://www.arcelect.com/208A-B_manual.PDF

Thanks. Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

As an aside, I am not sure how off-topic this instrument is. OK. it's not
a classic computer, but I intend to use it for testing classic computer
peripherals (modems, of course). It is, iteself, over 20 years old, and
while it is not user-programmable (AFAIK), it does contain _6_
microprocessors (3 off 8085, an 8049, an 8041 (display driver, that one I
can see the purpose of) and a 32C010 DSP).