Cyanoacrylate and baking soda (was Re: Multimeter recomendations)

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Wed Oct 13 08:55:50 CDT 2010

At 10:54 PM 9/21/2010, Fred Cisin wrote:
>> >up with joining plastic parts with cyano-acrylate (super-glue) and then
>> >running a soldering iron along the joint.
>On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, John Foust wrote:
>> What does that do?  Heat helps it?
>Welding the joint at the surface.
>Even that shallow weld substantially reduces the stress on the joint.
>Obviously only suitable for SOME types of plastics.

While googling for rubber restorer alternatives to improve the pickup
rollers on old Laserjets (in particular the use of Marvel Mystery Oil)
I stumbled on discussions of mixing baking soda with super-glues.

It acts as a hardening accelerant (leading to exothermy) and as a filler
of small gaps.  It sounds like it hardens almost instantly, ready for
sanding and paint.

- John