Phoenix Amiga 1000 - interesting/boring/rare/common...?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 10:04:00 CDT 2010

On 10/13/10, Geoff Oltmans <oltmansg at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> IIRC, probably the biggest improvement of the Phoenix was the capability to
> use a square Agnus chip and ECS chips, so you could get more chip ram and
> support PAL/NTSC simultaneously.
>
> They are quite rare stateside. Don't know how many were produced.

Over here, we had The Rejuvinator - http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/rejuvenator

I brought a couple of Amiga 1000s to VCFmw - one with a Spirit Inboard
(memory and RTC), the other with a Rejuvinator and a Microbotics
Starboard (memory) and Stardrive (SCSI and RTC).  Unfortunately, it's
been a while since I powered up an A1000 and the best I got was a Guru
screen on one of them (no Kickstart prompt on the one, no Workbench on
the other).

In terms of features, an A1000 motherboard+Rejuvnator was like a
Phoenix (ECS chipset, more CHIP RAM, Kickstart in ROM...) but it was a
bit ugly to install vs a total mobo replacement.  I've never seen a
Phoenix over here, but since the Rejuvinator designer lived in Dayton
(90 minutes away from me) I did see plenty of Rejuvinators in Ohio.

-ethan