Confused by Alpha 433au and SCSI

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 16 08:45:28 CDT 2010

I have a BA356 shelf with a DS-BA35X-FB personality module. The personality
module has two high density connectors on it, I think they are 68-pin. The
pins are too small for me to be able to count them reliably, but the cable
has a 68-pin SCSI Wide connector on the other end. The second connector on
the personality module is not connected to anything, I do not have a
terminator for it and I am unsure if I need one. I have connected this to my
433au which has a Qlogic QLA1040 SCSI adapter in it. I have been unable to
locate any documentation for either the personality module or the SCSI
adapter.

I am having problems getting the SRM to recognise the disks in the shelf.
Sometimes it will see no devices at all, not even the CD-ROM connected to
the internal SCSI cable. Other times it will see a ton of disks as shown in
this partial extract from the console:

>>>sh dev
dka0.0.0.1009.0            DKA0
dka100.1.0.1009.0          DKA100
dka101.1.0.1009.0          DKA101
dka103.1.0.1009.0          DKA103
dka105.1.0.1009.0          DKA105
dka107.1.0.1009.0          DKA107
dka1100.11.0.1009.0        DKA1100
dka1102.11.0.1009.0        DKA1102

Just now I tried with one SBB in slot 0 and I got this:

>>>sh dev
dka400.4.0.1009.0          DKA400       MATSHITA CD-ROM CR-508  XS03
dva0.0.0.0.1               DVA0
ewa0.0.0.3.0               EWA0              00-00-F8-75-BE-63
pka0.7.0.1009.0            PKA0                  SCSI Bus ID 7  5.57
pqa0.0.0.4.0               PQA0                       PCI EIDE
pqb0.0.1.4.0               PQB0                       PCI EIDE

When I added a second SBB in slot 1 then I got this:

>>>sh dev
waiting for pka0.7.0.1009.0 to poll...
waiting for pka0.7.0.1009.0 to poll...
waiting for pka0.7.0.1009.0 to poll...
dva0.0.0.0.1               DVA0
ewa0.0.0.3.0               EWA0              00-00-F8-75-BE-63
pka0.7.0.1009.0            PKA0                  SCSI Bus ID 7  5.57
pqa0.0.0.4.0               PQA0                       PCI EIDE
pqb0.0.1.4.0               PQB0                       PCI EIDE

I am not quite sure what is going on, what the jumpers on the personality
module do, whether I need to insert a terminator on the second personality
module connector, or whether there are some jumpers on the QLA1040 adapter
that need to be set, or is there something else I need to do.

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks

Rob