Preserving computers (here we go again)

William Donzelli wdonzelli at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 16:24:18 CDT 2010

> believe that preserving classic computers is VERY different from
> preserving many other types of collectibles.

For those of us that have been around from the very beginnings of the
computer collecting (which seems to be perhaps 1990 or so), or better
for those of use that have been around from before anyone gave a damn,
we see that it has grown up almost perfectly in line with how every
other branch of the antique and collectible trade has.

1) A few see potential in some unrealized common items.
2) Very loose communities form, and collection form.
3) Snowball effect of more people see the potential and interest grows.
4) Prices and values start forming, due to supply and demand.
Meanwhile, the good stuff starts getting scarce,
5) Markets grow, prices stabilize. The high end gets very high, and
the low end gets worthless.

You name the antique, and it will fit this story. Oddly enough, Ebay
probably has not changed the story much.

--
Will