Nonsense about museums and libraries [was RE: Xerox Alto onebay (not mine!)]

Ian King IanK at vulcan.com
Wed Oct 20 10:53:57 CDT 2010

Really?

>From my perspective, it is true that collections are often larger than display space - that is undeniable and unfortunate.  Of course, it allows a museum to 'mix it up' and not become stale - which is another common complaint, which would be unavoidable if the museum did not have items in storage!

In my experience, incoming items are first evaluated for stability.  This is necessary because they often come from private collectors who do not have the resources of a museum and may have stored the items for years in a less than ideal environment, like a musty basement or a garage.  (Some private collectors do better than others.)  Rodent nests (and sometimes carcasses) are removed, areas of decay are cleaned carefully so they do not progress further, and then the item is catalogued and, most likely, stored.

The item is stored until one of the very few members of the restoration team can attend to it.  In our case, there are three of us who not only restore pieces but also deal with intake and ongoing aspects of display and operation.  We also give tours and lectures.  We engage in public dialogue, such as this forum.  Occasionally we sleep.

Just what is it you think we should be doing differently?  -- Ian