Would a bog-standard 4164 be a suitable replacement for a MCM4517 in a Sega SC3000H? (was Re: Introduction - Terry Stewart (tezza))

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 16:15:29 CDT 2010

On 10/19/10, Mike van Bokhoven <mike at fenz.net> wrote:
> Hi Terry,
>
> Welcome to the list, from another NZ classic-cmper. Whereabouts in NZ are
> you located?

Hi, Terry,

I'm curious, too.  I've spent about six months of the past 15 years in
NZ, mostly in Christchurch, with trips to Wellington, Auckland, and
Hamilton.

> I also enjoy getting dead machines going; my current challenge is finding
> RAM for a Sega SC3000H. I was hoping someone might have some spare MCM4517s
> for sale (from memory, hopefully that number's right),

Those are just +5V-only 16Kx1 DRAMs, right?  The pinout is the same as
the 4164 except for pin 9 (NC on a MCM4517, A7 on a 4164).

Could you use a 4164 instead?  (it might require a pull-up or
pull-down on pin 9 so it doesn't float).  Those are rather abundant
and still available from a number of sources.

-ethan