Viper 2150S scsi tape drive

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Oct 22 17:39:02 CDT 2010

On 10/22/10 5:37 PM, dwight elvey wrote:
>   The Sparcbook I have is an early version and requires one to
> use the built in backup program.

   If it's running SunOS, this is not likely, whether it's early version
of the hardware or not.  If it has a SCSI device driver that handles
tape devices ("ls -l /dev/*st*"), then you can use lots of different
programs to access the tape drive.

   The only way this might not be the case is if they bastardized SunOS
in such a way that it doesn't directly recognize SCSI tape devices and
present them as standard device nodes.  As there's no reason in the
world for them to do that, I really doubt they would have.  They
definitely did *not* do that on the later SPARCbook-3 series (the
SPARCstation-5 laptops), as I've used all manner of tape drives (up to
DLT-4000) on those, and other random SCSI devices as well.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL