Speaking of "IBM Thingy's"...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Oct 26 17:18:15 CDT 2010

On 10/26/10 6:14 PM, Jason T wrote:
>>   Ohhh yes, I've seen those.  I believe they are POCSAG (pager protocol)
>> terminals.  Motorola made a bunch of those, possibly other companies as
>> well.  I've seen utility companies use them as well, right around that time.
>
> Yep...working retail near Motorola HQ (Schaumburg, IL) in the mid 90s,
> I'd see their guys come in with those all the time.  And I have seen
> the IBM-branded ones in the hands of mainframe techs a bit later on.
>
> Might even have seen some for sale at hamfests once they were retired.

   Yes I've seen them at hamfests and surplus dealers.  I always wanted
to play with one, but they seemed very opaque at the time, not much
information available about them.  Now the protocols and stuff are
readily available, but not so much in the late 90s when those boxes were
floating around for cheap.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire