What are these IBM 'thingys'

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Oct 26 23:53:53 CDT 2010

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, William Donzelli wrote:
> I am not sure I would agree - IBMs card handling was pretty superior
> (2501, 2520, 3505/3525) to everything else, until the Documations came
> into play. For example, look at sorters - the last man standing by a
> long shot was the 083.

But, in the earlier quote, the context was input of bulk data into batch
processing computers, such as 360.  The optical readers were capable of
much higher speeds, which was the limiting factor in those days of data
processing.

But, EAM was so much more FUN!   Using an IBM sorter to alphabetize was a
great way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com