Happy Birthday VAX 11/780 (influence of)

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Oct 28 16:24:50 CDT 2010

On 2010-10-28 23:02, Rich Alderson<RichA at vulcan.com> wrote:

> [...]

Indeed. Well, I don't know about few or no user-visible changes, but
there is no denying that Unix started on a PDP-7, and not a PDP-11.

> Because the VAX offered a virtual memory capability (hi, Johnny!:-), it
> did change the way Unix developed, but so did other ports (Interdata, for
> example, and even the IBM Series/1).

Hi. :-)
I hope you do remember that early versions of Unix (even on the VAX) did
not do demand paging. Are you saying that they didn't have virtual
memory either, then? :-)

BSD3 anyone?

As for what PDP-11 might have innovated, we have covered the memory
mapped I/O at some length now, and it appear that the PDP-11 might
atleast have a half claim to fame there. But, as some pointed out, the
x86 do not use memory mapped I/O (and shared memory with a graphics
subsystem is not the same thing). Most RISC machines did/do use memory
mapped I/O anyway, but I digress...

I have not seen anyone comment any of the other things I listed as
possible firsts on the PDP-11.
Can anyone come up with an earlier machine that used condition codes?
How about general registers with addressing modes, which is totally
orthogonal? How about having the PC as a general register?

I don't know of any machines before the PDP-11 that had these.
Admittedly, the only one of these attributes the x86 inherited (from
wherever) is condition codes, but I think it might be interesting to
hear the collective wisdom on some more details than just memory mapped
I/O...

	Johnny