TTL HEX LED driver chip

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Oct 29 17:37:23 CDT 2010

On 29 Oct 2010 at 22:27, Tony Duell wrote:

> I don't see why not :-). As I mentioned in my earlier reply tonight, I
> wasn't sure if using the normal 7-segemtn decoder helped or not (and
> whether it's better to use it for 0-7 or 0-9). Thinking about it,
> aren't the 'e' and 'g' segments always on for A-F? That simplifies
> things...

Actually, looking at the sequence A-F in the negative sense, many
simplifications come to mind, depending on how the letters are
displayed.  I chose "AbCdEF", but there's no reason that "abcdeF"
couldn't be chosen.

 Using "AbCdEF", "d" is the only letter where segment "f" isn't
illuminated.  "C" is the only letter that doesn't include "g", unless
you make the "c" lowercase, in which case, it's always on (as you
observed).  "b" and "d" are the only letters that omit the top
segment...and so on.

--Chuck