Repairing core memories....

William Donzelli wdonzelli at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 08:47:09 CDT 2010

> Removing a single core from the really bad stack to the almost OK stack
> would seems almost feasible to me, since address 0 is bound to be on a edge
> of a core mat.
>

> Any ideas / suggestions ?

Yes, core memory can be repaired by replacing individual cores and
restringing wires. Most (nearly all I have seen) stacks actually have
repairs if you look for them, as the production process never was
perfected. The manufacturers had women at benches reworking core
planes all day (what a job, eh?).

For your core plane, a rather common type, it may not be worth it.
Just wait until you can get a replacement, then put the bad plane up
on Ebay to pay for it.

--
Will