[OT]? Sun Ultra 60

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Oct 31 15:55:06 CDT 2010

At 4:06 PM -0400 10/31/10, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Certainly a good point.  I'd not draw that line at the Ultra60,
>though, because (as you know) they can be reasonably zippy if
>well-provisioned.  Ultra30s, Ultra1s, the previous 32-bit SPARCs,
>definitely.  (NetBSD hauls ass on those!)

I've never actually touched an Ultra 30, in fact I don't think I've
ever seen one.  I'd love a nice Ultra 1E/200 for OpenBSD, I imagine
it would rock on it.  It's pretty nice on a Sparc 5/70.  The nice
thing about OpenBSD is it's pretty light on RAM usage.  I like
running on S-Bus systems as I have a bunch of 4-port 100Mbit cards.
Plus they squeeze into a small space.

>>For the past few years I've typically run
>>Solaris 8 at home, though I have Solaris 10 on the SunBlade 1000.
>
>   Myself, at this point I can't imagine running a network without
>Zones and ZFS.  They've both pretty dramatically changed the way I
>build networks.  Solaris 10 all the way, for me!

I've run 10 at home briefly, but for the most part at work we stopped
at 8, with a few systems running 9.  Now we're mostly Linux &
Windows. :-(

Zane

| healyzh at aracnet.com              | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Photographer               |