[OT]? Sun Ultra 60

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Oct 31 16:11:52 CDT 2010

On 10/31/10 4:55 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
> I've never actually touched an Ultra 30, in fact I don't think I've ever
> seen one.

   I've had a few.  Basically uniprocessor Ultra60s with significantly
limited CPU module compatibility.  Oh, and they only have one UPA
framebuffer slot, not two like the Ultra60.  Basically a sadly
lobotomized Ultra60.

> I'd love a nice Ultra 1E/200 for OpenBSD, I imagine it would
> rock on it. It's pretty nice on a Sparc 5/70. The nice thing about
> OpenBSD is it's pretty light on RAM usage. I like running on S-Bus
> systems as I have a bunch of 4-port 100Mbit cards. Plus they squeeze
> into a small space.

   Yes, they are impressively compact.  The BSDs really do fly on those
machines.  I'm deploying lots of Netra X1s (400 & 500MHz UltraSPARC-IIe)
at customer sites these days as firewall/VPN endpoint machines, running
NetBSD from nifty little 1GB SSDs that plug right into the ATA connector
on the board.

> I've run 10 at home briefly, but for the most part at work we stopped at
> 8, with a few systems running 9. Now we're mostly Linux & Windows. :-(

   Eeeek.  Time to move. ;)  (though Linux certainly has grown up in
recent years...I can't really complain about it now)

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL