Repairing core memories....

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Oct 31 18:44:04 CDT 2010

On 31 Oct 2010 at 19:12, Charles Dickman wrote:

> So how does a single core fail? A crack I guess. Maybe overheating
> that could change the characteristics of the core materials.

That was my understanding--and the reason that core was in an oil
bath to start with.

I vaguely recall something related about the CDC 7600, where it was
possible to write pathological code that would repeatedly hit the
same bank of core (core, even on the PPUs was interleaved, but it was
very fast--for the time--27.5nsec core) and cause said core to
overheat and the machine to throw parity errors.  The solution was to
integrate the frequency of bank accesses and slow the system down if
they became too frequent.  I don't recall how it was done, however.

--Chuck