Terminals...

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 13:24:16 CDT 2010

On 9/20/10, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
> I suspect you'd also have to work on whatever Z-machine implementation
> you use to actually make it use both ANSI color control, and also user
> defined fonts. And then, of course, you need a font.

Right.

> I don't think you want to go down that path. :-)

I do understand how involved that could be.

> I did say "primitive" graphics. Beyond Zork uses font 3 to play with
> some crude graphics. Basically mapping, and some bar charts and nice
> framing. And, of course, it uses color if possible.

I've been up to my elbows in more than one Z-machine, so I do have a
clue about the scope.

> But if you are interested, I can send you my Z-machine font definitions
> for the VT200, VT200, VT400 and VT500 terminals, so you don't have to
> define those yourself.

Yes!  I do happen to have a handy VT240 base (need to dig out a
friendly color monitor for it).  That would be really cool to see.

> As for playing, if you just have a VT525, it's easy to test, by just
> logging in to Mim.Update.UU.SE, and play any Infocom game on that
> machine. My Z-machine for the PDP-11 do handle the font and color stuff
> for the VT terminals (of course). :-)

Nice.  I don't have anything newer than a VT320, but I have lots of
stuff from the 1970s and 1980s.  It will be interesting to see what's
the different terminals can display from the same app.  Back in the
day, we had a mix of real VT100s, VT101s, VT220s and C-Itoh clones
(which were essentially 100% VT100 compatible, but with a few extended
features that we occasionally took advantage of - like using the
"printer" port for a second host connection on the C-Itoh 101e).

Please feel free to send me a tarball or a URL.  I'm always interested
in new and different Z-machines.  Naturally I have all of the .DAT
files already.

-ethan