Multimeter recomendations

Charles Dickman chd at chdickman.com
Mon Sep 20 20:08:34 CDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Tony Duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> As all of us who do hardware repairs know, a multimeter is an essential
> piece of test equipment.

Agreed and I like the Fluke meters. I have one personally and I insist on
them professionally.

It's totally black for half the
> height, I asusem the liquid crystal material has leaked out (although the
> glass is not obviously cracked or broken).

Something that I have seen on multiple occasions with Fluke meters is a
problem with the conductive polymer bridge between the circuit board and the
LCD glass.  Usually pressing on the case in the right spot makes the display
normal.

I don't think I have seen the display behave as you describe. Usually it
causes dim segments.

-chuck