Multimeter recomendations

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 14:22:46 CDT 2010

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Tony Duell wrote:
> > 1) You have ot dispmantle the meter to change the battery, and it's
> > assembeled with self-tapping screws going into the plastic case. I don't
> > know how many insertions they will stand.
>
> Can you drill them out, and install threaded inserts, to then use machine
> screws?

Yes, I could do, easily. And if I manage to get a replacemnt displayu and
the self-tapped holes doen't last, I may well do that.

But if I buy a new, expensive, multimter, I don't want to have to modify
it. The Fl;uke 85 cost around 5 times as much as a no-name meter with the
same specifications on paper. Yes, the Fluke is probably more accurate,
But it should also be better built, and I am not convinced it is.

Since I was prepared to pay for a Fluke origianlly, it should be obvious
that the price was not the primary consideration in choosing a meter. In
particualr, had it been, say, $20 more to cover the cost of having tapped
bushes, etc, I would not have worried.

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I recently bought the new Big Trak
toy. This is assembled by self-tapping screws going into the plastic --
which is what I'd expect in a toy. But the battery cover, the part that
the average owner has to remove and replace many times, is fitted with
machine screrws into tapped bushes.

Now, if they can do that in a cheap toy, they darn well should do it in
an expensice measuring instrument.