Multimeter recomendations

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Sep 21 17:03:05 CDT 2010

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Tony Duell wrote:
> Yes, I could do, easily. And if I manage to get a replacemnt displayu and
> the self-tapped holes doen't last, I may well do that.
> But if I buy a new, expensive, multimter, I don't want to have to modify
> it.

I'm surprised!
I have often bought things that would be what I want AFTER modifications.
Sometimes, I modify newly purchased stuff as soon as I have confirmed that
it works.  Admittedly, most of those mods are TRIVIAL, such as adding an
external power connector.

A few hours after I got my first TRS80, I put in an RCA jack for the
video.  And, immediately after the expansion interface arrived, as soon as
I tested it, I populated it, retested it, cut a notch for the power
cord to go through instead of around, and then put in 1/4-20 threaded
inserts into the bottom of it, an outlet strip, and the TRS80, and bolted
them to a scrap of thin marine plywood.  (It's good to NOT flex the
connecting cable, . . .)

Back when I was working on cars (70s), I got a good deal on a used Snap-On
meter.  I connected it, turned it on, then disconnected it, replaced the
proprietary 9V battery and holder with "normal" transistor radio battery,
put threaded inserts in place of the screws into plastic, and made a
gasket for the case.

> Now, if they can do that in a cheap toy, they darn well should do it in
> an expensice measuring instrument.

. . . and it is STRANGE that they hadn't done so!

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com