Multimeter recomendations

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Sep 21 17:23:29 CDT 2010

On 21 Sep 2010 at 21:02, Tony Duell wrote:

> I looked at the chepa meters in a Maplin shop, and not one met my
> requirements (even discounting the build quality).

A couple of years ago, I received a Mastech 8284 DMM as a promotional
item ("buy $50 or more of our stuff and we'll throw in a meter").
After awhile, I found myself using it more than my Fluke 77.  The
accuracy is very good on mine, the display is large (with a
backlight), the continuity checker is fast, and it seems to be well-
made, right down to having brass bushings on the battery compartment
screws (and you don't have to remove the rubber "bib" to get at
them).

http://www.p-mastech.com/products/04_dm/ms8264.html

The battery compartment is pretty decent--it's sized to exactly fit a
9V battery with no foam to keep it in place.  Connections to the
terminals are via spring contacts, making it easy to change.

It's not an autoranger like the Fluke, but I'm not sure that I care
for the autoranging feature.

Yes, there are some things that I don't care for; I wish the buttons
were better engineered, but all in all, it's way better than the
Harbor Freqight DMM.  Another one I've used for many years is one
branded by JDR--decent enough, but no continuity buzzer.

--Chuck