hardware multiply/divide functionality in CPUs

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 15:57:19 CST 2011

... or mid-late '70s and early '80s CPUs, to be more specific. Can anyone
furnish me with a better knowledge as to which processors of that kind of time
period had hardware multiplication and division support?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_multiplier mentions the 6809, but I'm
curious as to which* others had such hardware features (and when they started
moving from simple shift-add routines to more complex approaches which used
more silicon - or did that not happen until much later in the 80s?)

* mainframe, mini, micro; I'm not picky. I'm more interested in building up a
picture of how widespread hardware support was, and the various approaches
that designers used.

cheers

Jules