I Never Knew That The VT100 Was A Computer :-)

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 15:39:07 CST 2011

> Vt100 was the first DEC terminal that wasn't a state machine or some random

The distinmction between a 'state machine' and a 'processor' is somwhat
blurred, IMHO. Personally, I consider the VT50-series controller to be a
simple processor, I guess you call it a state machine.

I could even argue that the distinctiuon can come down to how it was
designed, a 'state machine' is desiged from a state transition diagram, a
'procesosr' runs a program which is descibed by a listing. The
VT50=-series was certainly the latter (there's a source listing of the
fimrware in one of the microfiches).