BIOS/Clock battery replacement

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Mar 10 15:50:22 CST 2011

On 2011 Mar 10, at 1:29 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2011 at 13:13, Brent Hilpert wrote:
>
>> Yes, they (many Macs) did, they are half-AA size, but are rather
>> expensive and relatively difficult to obtain.
>
> Yup, some of the PowerMacs in partitular.  Why not just replace it
> with a coin cell (CR2032s are almost a dime a dozen)?  Is the current
> draw that great?

And into the early iMacs. On some of the first iMacs the battery would
only last a year or 2, and the machine would not boot when it failed,
leaving one to go scrambling to source an oddball battery. Seemed to
last longer in later versions. Today I might find an alternative
solution rather than buy a new battery, but early iMacs are one machine
it could be a little awkward to fit an alternative.