Digital archiving tools

Dennis Boone drb at msu.edu
Fri Mar 11 16:24:43 CST 2011

 > I guess I was being too clever with that post. What I trying to express
 > was my dislike of magnetic tape and floppies. Both require the media to
 > be in contact with the head to work. Magnetic and optical rigid disks do
 > not.

I'm not arguing for hundreds of TB of tape, or against using sata
drives, here, but:

If the wear of validating your media is killing your media, you've got a
media refresh problem.  You're supposed to be migrating the stuff
forward onto newer media every ~five or so years anyway, so that you
don't get bit rot, continue to have access to working drives, etc.

De