PDP-11 Operating Systems

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Mar 11 18:31:11 CST 2011

On 3/11/11 6:46 PM, Brent Hilpert wrote:

>>> The switch and light patterns certainly do, but the silk screen around
>>> them looks unique.
>>>
>>> http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/front_panel.jpg
>>
>> Yes, a proprietary silk-screened bezel over a standard 11/20 front
>> panel, as has been done with lots of PDP-8 and PDP-11 systems.
>
> I figured somebody here would recognise it more quickly than if I went
> looking for -11 front panel photos. While many -11s were used in
> embedded systems, I don't think I had seen one where they were actually
> trying to hide the fact by silk-screening new front panels.

   I have a PDP-8/e with another company's custom-silkscreened front
bezel; it doesn't say DEC or DIGITAL anywhere on it.  Pat Finnegan has
(I think) a PDP-11/35 with a similarly-custom front bezel.  I don't
recall if that says DEC or DIGITAL on it but I think it doesn't.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL