Digital archiving tools

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Sat Mar 12 12:25:24 CST 2011

> Friends don't let friends store their archives on a media that requires physical contact
> with a read/write head.

As a data point: All of bitsavers fits on 27 DVD-R's.

I'm told that Blu-Ray recordables store 25GB (single layer) or 50 GB (dual layer) but I'm
not at the leading edge of media adoption. Only in the past year have I grudgingly
admitted that DVD-R might be halfway decent for everyday use, but I still don't trust
anything but Gold CD-R for longer term use.

The mainframe people use cartridge-loaded WORM media which is 60 GB per cart. I think
it's magneto-optical but who knows, maybe it's really closer to Blu-Ray type technology. For
a while (back in the 600 Mbyte/cart era) I was a big fan of the 5.25" magneto optical
carts but CD-R and DVD-R is so easy that I have a hard time going back.