OT: Can someone help me pick out a desktop machine?

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 13 16:46:42 CDT 2011

The only basic recommendation I can make is, make sure it has an AMD cpu.

Now, before this gets into another CPU flame war,
Intel has for a while decided that the users/owners rights don't matter,
it's DRM (digital rights management) all the way for them,
with even the ability to disable or remove software "they" don't want you to run.
oh, you paid for that program? that's too bad.

no thanks, when I buy a machine, I buy it, not a license to use it.
go ahead, get Intel, let them monitor everything you do.

but the usual fanboys will say - the faster is better, more cores is better, more FSB is better, larger cache is better. blah

why a desktop anyhow? why not a decent notebook? why not an ipad2 (its under your price requirement) ?
the desktop days are numbered (yeah, just like the year of the linux desktop is every year)

most companies aren't even making desktops any more, or are cutting back, or ending soon.

good luck!