OT: Can someone help me pick out a desktop machine?

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.de
Sun Mar 13 19:22:50 CDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 05:26:16PM -0500, Brian Lanning wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Dan Gahlinger <dgahling at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > why a desktop anyhow? why not a decent notebook? why not an ipad2 (its under your price requirement) ?
> > the desktop days are numbered (yeah, just like the year of the linux desktop is every year)
>
> I really dislike notebooks.  I think they have less power for the
> money.  They're also less expandable.

That's part of the price you pay for getting machine that is
 - easy to carry around due to small size and low weight
 - sips little enough power to work for a few hours on the batteries.
If you want the power of a big desktop, be prepared for a "luggable
computer" and an extra cart for the batteries ;-)

>  I've also had a lot of problems
> from a variety of notebook manufacturers.  For gateway, the keys fell
> off.  For a few toshibas, the power bricks crapped out, then the power
> connector in the machine broke so you can't charge.  My daughter had
> an asus or acer or something with flaky 802.11g.  It would drop the
> connection making her reconnect every 5 minutes, then went out
> completely.  Replaced it, then the new one did the same.  I can't seem
> to get one that just keeps working.  I have amiga computers that still
> work, why can't a notebook last more than 3 months?

I've been using Thinkpads (T43p until almost two years ago, a X200
currently) and I'm very happy with them. They are solid, reliable
workhorses, plain and simply.

Of course, I also have my desktops (home & work), the laptop is really
just a mobile computer for me.

Kind regards,
            Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison