Ebay fee change as of 4/1

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Mar 16 12:03:53 CDT 2011

On 3/16/11 12:34 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> It fits with what others have said about eBay wanting to become
> essentially more of a retail storefront with minor auction content,
> rather than an online auction house.  i.e. more of a Buy.com setup.

   Yeah, like the world really needs ANOTHER one of those, and like we
really need to see eBay duke it out with Amazon.

   This reminds me of when most of the computer manufacturers stopped
making good stuff and jumped onto the PC bandwagon because it was "the
next big thing".  They started making PCs, ditched their real computers,
and promptly died.  The world really didn't need yet another
manufacturer of bottom-end hardware.

   eBay fills a market need that nobody else has been able to touch.
Sure, there are some vertical-market places (the Vintage Computer
Marketplace, etc), but the few other "general audience" auction houses
that actually got off the ground never made even the slightest dent in
the market.  That's why eBay makes so damn much money.

   I can only hope their shareholders recognize the mistake this time,
before it actually happens.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire