what is a CXY08-M good for?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 09:36:36 CDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
>  A CXY08 is an eight-port multiplexer.  Of course it doesn't "multiplex"
> much of anything, but that's what they've always been called.  It's eight
> serial ports on a board.

Since I have some cables for one, I thought I'd go digging.  These
links popped out...

http://antinode.info/dec/cxy08_cable.html
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/wiz_7270.html

>  As for what it's "good for", well, for connecting up to eight
> serially-interfaced things to a PDP-11 or VAX.

I was curious about that... specifically, I caught that there's a
DHU/DHV-compatibility setting, but I was curious how far back there's
support for this board.  I'm sure it'll work with modernish versions
of VMS, but what about PDP-11 operating systems?  (most specifically,
I'd be thinking of RSTS and 2BSD).  Anyone have any experience with
that?  (My own is with older products on older machines, but except
for DZ11s and DLJ11Js, I think some of the older multi-serial
interfaces are less easy to find these days).

-ethan