Manuals / jumper map for NEC FD1165 with G9NYB PCB

Philip Pemberton classiccmp at philpem.me.uk
Fri Mar 18 19:28:03 CDT 2011

On 19/03/11 00:04, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Do you have any idea what system the drive is from?  The 1165s were
> used in a lot of Japanese PC98-type industrial equipment, for
> example.

 From what I've been told, it came from a "Samurai" 8086 based machine,
possibly an "S16". Google provided no useful hits, and I couldn't see
anything on Bitsavers.

The drive pinout appears to be pretty non-standard. It doesn't match up
with the standard edge connector at all... Shorting pins 49 and 50, for
instance, makes the "drive active/heads loaded" LED light... The
connector is a 3M 3433, which is an IDC-like connector with two
polarising pins, neither of which is in the centre of the connector. To
make an IDC crimp plug fit, you have to shave off the polarising pin...

Somehow I get the feeling this is going to end with me reverse
engineering the pinout with a multimeter, and hoping this board uses the
same programmed 8048 that the other board variant uses...

--
Phil.
classiccmp at philpem.me.uk
http://www.philpem.me.uk/