Manuals / jumper map for NEC FD1165 with G9NYB PCB

Philip Pemberton classiccmp at philpem.me.uk
Sat Mar 19 04:15:24 CDT 2011

On 19/03/11 02:46, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> I found a mention on a Japanese PC collector's website:
>
> http://www2.ucatv.ne.jp/~m_okubo.moon/98fdd/fd1165a.html
>
> Scroll down a bit and you'll see your FD1165S.  He seems to be saying
> that this was part of the PC8881 external drive box used with the
> early PC9801 (which had no internal drives), but originally marketed
> for the 8-bit PC8801:
>
> http://park10.wakwak.com/~pinevill/image/nec/PC8881.JPG
>
> Maybe someone has a manual for this thing...

Google-fu FTW!

This page lists a few pinouts for the drives in the PC-8881 enclosure,
including a YE-Data drive (the YD180-1603)... the pinout for which is
suspiciously similar to my NEC drive:
http://ematei.web11.jp/kakolog/200302/r060036_.htm

Scroll down about half-way to a post by "Ludolph", or the later post by
"HAMLIN". Google Translate (JP -> EN) may prove useful... :)

Which via a search for "YD180-1603" leads us to this little gem:
http://www.d1.dion.ne.jp/~ytera/FD_AN-YE.PDF

A Japanese PDF containing pinouts and pin descriptions for:
   * Shugart-style ("ANSI pinout") drives (YD180-1601)
   * YE-Data custom pinout (YD180-1600)
   * "VFO" pinout (YD180-1603)

And what is pin 49 on the YD180-1603 pinout? Why, it's HEAD LOAD of
course...

I think it's a fair guess the FD1165S uses the "VFO" pinout (which means
I need to make another adapter.. grr). I'd still like a manual or jumper
list, though...

Cheers,
--
Phil.