Three phase and IBM

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Mar 20 10:32:31 CDT 2011

On 3/20/11 3:58 AM, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> In Germany, well, most if not all of Europe, the entire power grid is
> three phase. The power that gets distributed to a house is always three
> phase 230 / 400 V in Y configuration. Single phase loads like ordinary
> power outlets are wired from one phase to neutral. The single phase
> circuits in a house (apartment, flat, ...) are spreed across all phases
> to spreed load. Biger loads like electric stoves, water heaters, big
> motors, ... are allways three phase. So we have three phase in every
> household.

   I am so jealous. :)  (though there might be three-phase power in my
near future!)

   So THAT'S why people running big VAXen is so common over there.
(well, that and most of us Americans are sitting around drooling in
front of the TV instead of doing something useful)

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL