IBM 5150 in S100?

steve shumaker shumaker at att.net
Tue Mar 29 16:00:29 CDT 2011

On 3/29/2011 12:52 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 29 Mar 2011 at 11:07, steve shumaker wrote:
>

>> Helbig didn't say much about the relationship although I got the
>> impression this was not something that Godbout was involved in - they
>> were simply using their technology.   Buried in the disks I have here
>> are a stack of 5 1/4 floppies labeled "MS-DOS 2.0 OEM Support"    No
>> idea the contents.  (He included over 200 pieces of media - mostly 8"-
>> and I've yet to open any of them.") Much of the documentation appears
>> to be a mix of MSDOS and CPRO BIOS listings.   The company was "G and
>> G Engineering"
>>
> I'll have to see if I have anything on it, but this would more likely
> be from the PC-DOS 1.1 era.  I still have my notes from working with
> the OEM MS-DOS 2.0 kit; it was really the first version that had
> decent OEM documentation--compared to 1.25, it was wonderful.  What's
> particularly funny is the stated goal of eventually merging DOS and
> Xenix.  File that one with Microsoft OS/2 3.0...
>
> --Chuck

Based on some of the cryptic notes I've found, they actually had a 1.1
version of MS-DOS running on a CPRO system.   They were apparently
working on ver 2.0  when they abandoned the effort...

Interesting! I'm just starting to look through a lot of the stuff that
came with it as part of a big scan-to-file effort to be rid of anything
hardcopy-wise not of collectible value.  As it progresses, I'll let you
know what I find.   It would eventually be fun to fire up an S100 box
with MS-DOS.

Steve