EDSAC lives

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Mon Dec 1 02:50:49 CST 2014

On 2014-Nov-30, at 12:02 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

>> Anyone for the ENIAC?
>
> I'm very friendly with the Mauchly / Eckert families and I know for fact that they want to do something similar.
>
> But there are the usual obstacles: space and money.
>
> Their primary goal is to gather all the remaining ENIAC pieces (which are curently are various museums around the world) and replicate the missing pieces. However they would also be happy with a full-scale replica.
>
> We do have the space at the InfoAge museum here in NJ; naturally the families would prefer a location in metro Philadelphia.

If someone has a spare 2M$...

I do wonder about the logistics one would run into doing a machine the size of the ENIAC. Maybe there's more NOS stuff out there than I realise, but sourcing 18000 tubes and associated components is different than a few hundred. Granted, you don't have to build out the full complement of accumulators.

Didn't someone have 2 of the accumulators powered up, or am I completely mis-remembering something?