Fwd: is there any word processing software for the pdp11?

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 09:03:34 CST 2014

  OK, to clear up my goals here: I just got my Diablo 630 running and would
like to couple it to one of my pdp11s and an appropriate terminal to do
more "inspired" writing and correspondence.  I don't mean to complain, but
I sometimes get bored typing on these relatively snazzy computers we have
these days and wish to go back to the way things were.

  So if there's some reasonable software that'll keep out of my way enough
to allow the creative juices to flow and that'll run natively on my 11/34
or my (currently broken) 11/73, that'd be fabulous.

  If I cant have all that, I'd at least like to get the printer working
with my 11/73 accepting lpd jobs so I can send stuff to it over the network
and enjoy the thing doing real world work in a contemporarily-configured
fashion.  Failing that, I suppose I could drive it with my Raspberry Pi.
But then most of the vintage voyeurism is lost.

  I know that "Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs" is on some of the 2.x
distributions, and if there's some creative writing / composition mode I
could get it into, that'd probably suffice, but I wanted to also try and be
open-minded; to be less unix-centric and accept that there might be other
word processing software out there on other pdp11 operating systems I could
use.

  I guess the bottom line is that I have all this neat old stuff and I want
to actually use it; not just sit on it.

thx for the input!
jake