List memberships and duplicates [was Re: Yay, now I need some Osborne boot media!]

Peter Coghlan cctech at beyondthepale.ie
Mon Dec 1 12:31:43 CST 2014

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:28:05 -0800 Chris Osborn <fozztexx at fozztexx.com> wrote:

>On Nov 24, 2014, at 1:14 PM, Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:
>
>> Me too.  I tried unsubbing from cctech and was told I wasn't
>> subscribed.  So I've just left it, figuring Jay has bigger fish to fry
>> for the moment - if it really bugged me I'd procmail the cctech copy to
>> /dev/null.  If it's still going on whenever it seems to me it's worth
>> mentioning again (a month? two?), I may see if Jay has the spare cycles
>> then to deal with it.
>
>I’ve been getting the duplicates too and also haven’t said anything for the
>same reasons. I did check the “List-" headers to see if I was getting a copy
>from cctech, but it’s not coming from there. I suspect what’s happening is
>the cctech is forwarding to cctalk, or has cctalk as a subscriber, and the
>cctalk list is not checking or storing the Message-ID to prevent duplicate
>messages.
>
>Like you, I’m not an expert on mailman. The last time I ran a mailing list
>I used procmail’s SmartList.

I am still getting duplicate mails.  To recap, I am subscribed to cctech and
one copy of each duplicate is arriving with a cctech From: address and the
second copy is arriving with a cctalk From: address.  I have tried to
unsubscribe from cctalk but I never receive the email asking me to confirm
I wish to unsubscribe, suggesting that I am not subscribed to cctalk.

There have only been a few responses to this thread so it appears that either:

1) There are very few people experiencing this problem.

or

2) All cctech subscribers are experiencing it and very few find it a problem.

or

2) All cctech subscribers are experiencing it and there are very few people
   subscribed to cctech!

It doesn't look like this is going to be fixed quickly so I decided it's time
to do something before talk of cooking the Thanksgiving turkey turns to talk
of cooking the Christmas turkey.  I decided that if I unsubscribe from cctech
and subscribe to cctalk, even though I will still get the off-topic stuff, I
should get a lot less mail because the on-topic stuff should only arrive once,
which is definately an improvement and will do for now.

In case I might miss anything important, like someone offering a free IBM 3420
on my doorstep, I decided to subscribe to cctalk first, wait until I start
getting three copies of everything and then unsubscribe from cctech.

So, I subscribed to cctalk (with the same address I use for cctech which on
reflection may not have been a good idea), replied to the confirmation email
and then received the "Welcome to cctalk" email.  However, I have not started
getting three copies of anything.  Everything is very much as before, one
copy from from cctalk and usually another some time later from cctech,
presumably after moderator approval.

I thought I was on to something when one message arrived twice from cctalk and
twice more from cctech but then I found that it appears to have been sent to:

On-Topic Posts <cctech at classiccmp.org>, General at classiccmp.org, and Off-Topic
Posts <cctalk at classiccmp.org>

so it's arrival here four times is consistent with previous behaviour.

So what next?  I get the feeling that if I unsubscribe from cctech, I will
stop receiving anything at all and if I unsubscribe from cctalk, nothing will
happen.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.