List memberships and duplicates [was Re: Yay, now I need some Osborne boot media!]

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Dec 1 16:03:05 CST 2014

    > From: Peter Coghlan

    > 2) All cctech subscribers are experiencing it and very few find it a
    > problem.
    > or
    > 2) All cctech subscribers are experiencing it and there are very few
    > people subscribed to cctech!

I rather suspect it's 2B... :-)

    > So, I subscribed to cctalk (with the same address I use for cctech
    > which on reflection may not have been a good idea)

I think you've hit the nail on the head...

    > However, I have not started getting three copies of anything.
    > Everything is very much as before, one copy from from cctalk and
    > usually another some time later from cctech

Possibly what's going on is that Mailman has noticed that it's trying to send
that email address _two_ 'CCTalk' copies: one for your actual CCTalk
subscription, and one for your pseudo-subscription (via CCTech). It thereupon
automagically suppresses the second copy.

    > So what next? I get the feeling that if I unsubscribe from cctech, I
    > will stop receiving anything at all

Nope, my guess is you'd wind up with one copy (from your 'real' CCTalk
subscription).

Go ahead and try it: you can make sure you don't miss anything by looking in
the archive (which is how I read the list: I don't actually get _any_
copies... :-)

	Noel