Tandon TM-848E Normal Behavior?

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Tue Dec 2 13:40:09 CST 2014

> On Dec 1, 2014, at 22:03 , Ali <cctalk at fahimi.net> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Do you know, or have any experience, with reliability of the brushless vs.
> belt driven? My bet would be on the brushless motor (the belt being the weak
> point) but you never know.

I haven't been in the retrocomputing game long enough to get a feel for that yet, and 8" drives were already on the way out when I started getting original experience back in the day. My gut feeling is that the direct drives ought to have more reliable spindle drive systems and less RPM flutter. There are also other considerations, though; for example, on the TM848, it's not as easy to get access to the heads for Q-tip cleaning as it is on some of the older, bulkier drives, so an older drive might be more practical for imaging lots of questionable old disks that are likely to shed oxide.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/