C, please die, and take Go with you - Re: Fwd: is there any word processing software for the pdp11?

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Wed Dec 3 00:44:40 CST 2014

Toby Thain wrote:

> On 02/12/14 1:45 PM, Holm Tiffe wrote:
> >C is much like Assembler, you should know what you really want todo. The
> >comiler let you do all kind of things with the assumption that you know
> >what
> >you are doing. This is a programming language for system programming
> >purposes (written to write Unix) where you have to load unusual registers
> >and such things...
>
> Less than 5% of the *kernel* is at that level, and NONE of userland. The
> rest needs as much static checking as it can get (which is where C and
> "worse is better" entirely fails people doing "systems programming").
>
> Viz: Thousands of CERT notices.
>
> --Toby

Toby you just have to write pascal or ada compilers for all that small
stuff most people have todo with today.

I'm sure programmers will use it then.

It isn't the question if you like C, the question is what you get to
write programs for devices and I'm really don't want to programm
embedded things with ARM or MIPS kernel entirely using assembler...

Regards,

Holm
  www.tsht.de, info at tsht.de, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741