C, please die,

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Wed Dec 3 11:42:02 CST 2014

On 12/3/2014 10:29 AM, Fred Cisin wrote:

> Very true.
> A lot of the problem [,if there is one] is "baby duck syndrome".
> For example, students will stick with what they learned in school -
> BASIC was developed for TEACHING programming; as such, it was a fairly
> good choice for being built-in to generations of personal computers.
>
> When Pascal was developed for TEACHING programming, we got a whole
> generation who had learned on it, were never told, or never
> accepted, that it was intended for TEACHING, not for real world
> applications, and proceeded to use it when they got out into the real
> world, with mixed results.
>
> When C was the language that was taught, we got generations of C
> programmers.

I say classic C is good. Remeber back in 73 all one had was a few k
of 16 bit memory for small computer. BIG IRON ran *REAL* programing
languages. 83 you got MSDOS and all the tweaks to get C to run at all.
93 you got C+ and *MORE* improvements and 32 bit gcc. 03 you have
all sorts of flavors.

> Now, will we be getting generations of SCHEME programmers?
>
> A well designed language (and compiler) will excel at what it was designed
> for, and is not likely to be the best possible choice for other purposes.

PL/1 anyone?

> --
> Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com

Ben.