36bit still in use ?

Phil Budne phil at ultimate.com
Thu Dec 4 14:54:00 CST 2014

Roy Hirst <rhirst at xkl.com>
> Although here at XKL we don't still use TOAD-1s in the business, we do
> have a few engineers here in R&D that are bit-level familiar with the
> beast, even tho' the last living instance I believe is now at the Museum.
> I'd need to stay well clear of anything XKL-proprietary, but I would be
> happy to interview them and to put together a technical briefing on
> stuff we can talk about. Would take me a week.

Personally, I'd be more interested in hearing more about the "TOAD-2"
controllers used in current XKL equipment, starting with:

Is the TOAD-2 a PDP-10 clone, as the TOAD-1 is?

Is it running TOPS-20 (or some subset)?

If not, is it a self-hosting system (is development for the platform
done on a TOAD-2) or is it an embedded processor, with binaries being
cross compiled on some other platform?

Thanks!
Phil (who once worked on DEC FORTRAN-10/20)