Recaping a Macintosh Portable

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 01:13:01 CST 2014

If this is one of the original Mac Portables (white, wedge-shaped, B&W LCD
screen), have you disconnected the HD from the motherboard?

The HDs on these machines just love to die, and when they do, they can
screw-up the whole machine. If you haven't already eliminated that
possibility, I'd do it before you run around replacing anything else. If
you can find the correct drive, you can make a cable to adapt it to the
portable - but you won't have the low-power feature of the original drive.

It's been 15 years, but I went through one of those machines, back when.