Seeking disruptive tech

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Dec 10 17:55:34 CST 2014

On 12/10/2014 01:29 PM, Roy Hirst wrote:
> I just realized I am the same age as the transistor (though it in fact
> got smaller as it got older, and I did not).
> Does anyone know please of a forum (this one?) with interest in
> disruptive technology, i.e. components or processes that quickly changed
> the gameplan?

Hey, old timeer!  You were born in 1925?  Congratulations on your
upcoming 90th!

To my mind, the most disruptive technology involved materials and
methods more than anything.

Where would we be without, say, zone refining or epoxy (almost as old as
the transistor) or plastics?  Optics certainly played a part in
photolith processes.

So-called "disruptive" technology in computing mostly happened because
of improved materials and methods to manipulate them.

So, I look at, say, graphene as potentially a very disruptive technology.

--Chuck