Anyone have a spare Apple IIgs power supply?
scaron at umich.edu
Fri Dec 12 09:15:28 CST 2014
I'm not sure what the formulation was in the past but denatured alcohol
nowadays is just ethanol with maybe 5-10% methanol added. You definitely
shouldn't be drinking it (in vivo, methanol is metabolized to formaldehyde
via oxidative reduction - formaldehyde attacks the optic nerve - which is
why drinking wood methanol makes you go blind) but other than that, I
wouldn't say it's particularly more harmful to you, boards or components
than isopropanol is. You wouldn't want to drink that, either!
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 3:51 AM, Tothwolf <tothwolf at concentric.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2014, Eric Smith wrote:
> If anyone happens to have a spare Apple IIgs power supply that they'd be
>> willing to sell for lower than eBay prices, I could really use one. On
>> eBay, the power supply often sells for more than the whole computer.
>> I will replace the failed capacitor in the power supply that I have, but
>> unfortunately when it smoked and burst, it got smelly resinous crap all
>> over the PCB, other components, and the inside of the power supply case, so
>> I'd prefer to put in another power supply than constantly fill the house
>> with fumes from this one.
> Isopropyl alcohol* and a toothbrush will clean off the capacitor mess and
> magic smoke residue. It won't hurt the other components to get them wet
> with alcohol or even water if you need to rinse it. Isopropyl alcohol might
> damage or remove printing from certain types of labels though, so be
> careful of those.
> [* -Not- "denatured" or wood alcohol, normally used for thinning shellac,
> which has different chemical additives that are extremely toxic.]
More information about the cctalk