Physical Book Prices

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Sun Dec 14 23:09:38 CST 2014

On 12/14/2014 5:53 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 12/14/2014 04:51 PM, David Williams wrote:
>
>> Out of print books of limited quantity sold on Amazon tends to have
>> ridiculous prices that have no reflection of actual interest or
>> demand for the book. I've seen this on lots of books listed on Amazon
>> and other places tend to check there to see what something is "worth"
>> first. Just takes one person to list it for a high price and everyone
>> else joins in. I bought that book when it first came out for $23.10
>> and Amazon later sold me the ebook for $2.99 since I bought the print
>> version previously. It is a nice book but not really worth much more
>> than that imo. I'll bet you most of those people aren't selling any
>> copies either.
>
> As Al noted, used book prices via Amazon tend to have no relation to
> supply and demand or even common sense.  See this doozy:
>
> http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358
>
> --Chuck

I use alibris.com, biblio.com and abebooks.com.  Some sellers also cross
list onto amazon.

I don't know if the listed books on amazon have a way to upload via
other than sending a CSV list, but it is easy to see where things can go
sideways if you export your <xyz Bookselling app> database, and then
massage it and send the resulting 10 or 15k books to amazon.

The gaming of the prices is interesting, but I always shop across all 4
sites.  They don't do it in sync apparently.  The core book was 60 bucks
on one of the sites, and sounds good enough to snag. If it is a good
enough reference and not just pretty pictures, I'll get the ebook.  I
have several books in the pile to scan, that I have not gotten to yet
and many I owe to Al, so an ebook in the online library I have would be
nice.

thanks
Jim