OT : Chassis punches

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Dec 15 15:28:44 CST 2014

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014, tony duell wrote:
> From what I have read on various websites, the harbor Frieght ones are
> not good quality (failing after 3 uses has been reported). No thanks!.
> I am still not rich enough to buy cheap tools.

I'm never sure how seriously to take those "reviews".  MOST of them seemed
to be people trying to make holes through heavy stainless steel sinks.
AND, significant percentage were baffled by "1/2 inch" meaning "i/2 inch
PIPE" (which is of course larger than 1/2")

I haven't tried the Harbor Freight ones; I have a set of Greenlees that I
bought 40 years ago (and it was old then).

> And anyway, I am specifically looking at the D connector ones (amongst
> others). I certainly want DB and DD but the other 3 (DA, DC, DE) are
> being considered too..

Yes.
Chuck's suggestion of router jig could probably be made adjustable for
multiple sizes.
But I've always considered a chassis punch to be the best way to make
holes in sheet metal.

Y'know, it wouldn't be very hard to make an aligning system to use the
punches in a small arbor press,  . . .

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com